Use this eye-catching illustration by David Goodsell, Ph.D., scientist, author, and artist, to prompt curiosity and conversation around endosymbiosis or ATP production. This unique watercolor image connects the molecular world, inferred by X-ray crystallography and NMR spectroscopy, with the cellular world, observed by light and electron microscopy.
- Identify protein complexes of the electron transport chain which create the electrochemical gradient
- Notice ATP synthase involved in building ATP
- Follow ATP as it is transported by the adenine nucleotide translocator and diffuses through the VDAC protein in the outer membrane
- Observe DNA, tRNA, and polymerases
- Examine the outer membrane to notice the similarities to bacterial cell
Dr. Goodsell creates cellular landscapes that accurately illustrate the size, shape, and distribution of proteins in the cell’s natural environment. These unique watercolor images connect the molecular world, inferred by X-ray crystallography and NMR spectroscopy, with the cellular world, observed by light and electron microscopy.
Learn more about Mitochondria Poster
The Mitochondria Poster measures 23” x 30”.